Monday, June 13, 2011

The Haunted Teapot

Okay, you thought the last entry was trivial...I bought a red Chinese teapot last week that looks really amazing, but was nonetheless made in a factory and isn't really precious or anything, just unusual for being glazed red. Anyway, I was marvelling at it while I drank out of one of the three matching teacups that came with it and feeling this really insipid pride-of-ownership thing like I get sometimes and I remembered my friend Alejandro Eclarino once told me red Chinese teapots are meant to be unlucky because they house a demon. had shown me some of the cursed objects he had at the time (that was more than a year ago) and I came to see how you know if an object is cursed: it pulls this desire to possess it out of you as if you were five years old and looking at the best toy in the whole world and were told you couldn't have it. The difference is, sometimes you can have these things as an adult, but he more you desire them the more it just proves the object is too strong for you--Like what the martial artist woman said to the girl with the magic sword in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." Anyway, Alejandro doesn't remember telling me that about red teapots and I didn't find any legends like that when I googled "teapot legends." But what's really cool is three days in a row I've come home in the afternoon and all three of the teacups have coffee stains at the bottom and need to be washed out, as if my three dolls were having a coffee party. I live alone so this is very cute. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment