Ashleigh, in case you read this.
Not my first dream, but my very first shamanic level dream was sometime shortly after my mom died and my dad and I got back from a vacation in Southern California and my dad had decided it was time to move out here. He had all his life felt stuck on the East Coast and at the time we were living in a suburban town in New Jersey which until the age of five was the only home I had ever known.
In the dream, my father and I are visiting an enchanted castle peopled only by cartoon characters with flat bodies that kind of stick to the walls of the castle like Silly Putty. I remember trying to study exactly how it is that they move from one part of the wall to another and then I kind of realize that they don't. Anyway, my dad and I decide it's time to hike our way home again because it's already gettiing dark and Mom is waiting for us. We look at the setting sun on the mountain and then at the miles and miles of hedge maze we have to pick our way through to get over the hill and home again. It didn't seem so hard finding the enchanted castle but getting home again is going to be really dreadful and scary. My father and I say goodbye about a million times and I find myself resenting the superficiality of the cartoon characters.
We disembark, walking and walking, and I'm falling behind as small children often do, until my father turns around, grins mischievously, and says, "Let's go back to the castle." I am so relieved and I laugh and then all at once realize that we're never going to get around to going home again and I never will see my mother again.
That dream is the most important dream of my life, the key to my whole psychological makeup, though all through my childhood I had kind of a sarcastic sense of humor and flipflopped a lot between wanting to live in a fantasy world and not wanting people to disrespect me and other children so much. There really isn't any way of saying enough on this subject so I'm just going to end this post and publish it now.
Not my first dream, but my very first shamanic level dream was sometime shortly after my mom died and my dad and I got back from a vacation in Southern California and my dad had decided it was time to move out here. He had all his life felt stuck on the East Coast and at the time we were living in a suburban town in New Jersey which until the age of five was the only home I had ever known.
In the dream, my father and I are visiting an enchanted castle peopled only by cartoon characters with flat bodies that kind of stick to the walls of the castle like Silly Putty. I remember trying to study exactly how it is that they move from one part of the wall to another and then I kind of realize that they don't. Anyway, my dad and I decide it's time to hike our way home again because it's already gettiing dark and Mom is waiting for us. We look at the setting sun on the mountain and then at the miles and miles of hedge maze we have to pick our way through to get over the hill and home again. It didn't seem so hard finding the enchanted castle but getting home again is going to be really dreadful and scary. My father and I say goodbye about a million times and I find myself resenting the superficiality of the cartoon characters.
We disembark, walking and walking, and I'm falling behind as small children often do, until my father turns around, grins mischievously, and says, "Let's go back to the castle." I am so relieved and I laugh and then all at once realize that we're never going to get around to going home again and I never will see my mother again.
That dream is the most important dream of my life, the key to my whole psychological makeup, though all through my childhood I had kind of a sarcastic sense of humor and flipflopped a lot between wanting to live in a fantasy world and not wanting people to disrespect me and other children so much. There really isn't any way of saying enough on this subject so I'm just going to end this post and publish it now.
No comments:
Post a Comment