Monday, May 16, 2011

Commentary on "Axe" deodorant products

   Axe-- "Axe" sounds like "Ask" and so it could be saying, if you buy it, "I'm so secure in my masculinity I need you to ask me if I'm feeling it, too." It could otherwise be saying, "I'm man enough to work with my hands, to go to the YMCA, to shower and wear deodorant, and I'll still ASK your permission before I touch you if I don't know you that well." On the other hand it could be saying something altogether different; it could be saying, "This is my way of asking. I'm asking now," as in, "I'm just dying to have you run up and grab my butt." I think that what's most likely, though, is this chain of reasoning, though I'm afraid I come out looking like a creep by it.
  Woamen say, "Ask before you touch me," because they want you to work with your hands, go to the gym, take a shower, and put on deodorant before you touch them. For those of us creeps who are still doing none of those things, there's "body wash," which only exists because the name is code for "Wash your body." For those of us creeps who still aren't washing our bodies or using deodorant there's "Axe" body wash, which means, "Put me out of my misery." Anyway, I'm just trying to be funny and experiment with what we learned in my art history class is called "hermeneutics", which means the belief that something is trying to really say something else. It's a doubtful assumption, of course, but it can make for interesting writing and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment