Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Superbowl Forty-Six

    This year's superbowl was the first I ever watched willingly, and I even went out of my way to see it, begging my girlfriend's daughter to let us come over and watch it at her house and I was willing to bring snacks and gatorade and beer. There's been kind of a lot of disruption in all our lives lately and so the ritual of having the game on was kind of healing for me and--I think-- for them, too, though I drank too much beer and after the game I got upset over some trifle and demanded to be driven to the bus stop to go home. Certainly somebody drinking too much on superbowl Sunday doesn't raise many eyebrows. But, man, every single ad during the game was about beer. As if I didn't feel stupid enough.
    I was glad New York won, because two weeks ago they beat San Francisco, so it helps me to feel like "we" had a tough adversary. Also, I kind of identified with Eli Manning two weeks ago when he kept looking so afraid of the ball, and still he kept on playing. For those of us who know nothing of football, Manning was the quarterback for New York, so he had to run or pass every play as long as New York had the ball. Last week I got this bean bag toy of Spongebob Squarepants wearing a 49er's uniform and looking really mad because he didn't get to go to the superbowl and I absolutely love it. I forgot to bring it to the game, though.
    As for football itself, I wish it weren't played so dirty, but I think I don't dispprove of it any more. I finally outgrew all my resentment from being a weakling in school and I guess people going to all this trouble to slam into each other and get paid for it, if they're lucky, is kind of cool, though maybe I'll try watching baseball this year, too. Sometimes football seems kind of sublime to me, even if people do look mad and get in fights on the field. You have to hand it to anyone who will put themselves at stake so much physically, though I almost decided I didn't want to watch anymore two weeks ago when that man  got so hurt on the field they brought out the stretcher. Luckily he was able to walk off the field, but I hope he's okay. There's an anarcho- capitalist philosophy called Agonism that I don't agree with, but some of it I do, like the theory and beauty of competition generally. I think on a small scale, like where romantic love is at stake, I really love the struggle of it all a lot and can be something of a jerk. Sorry. Likewise sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment