Thursday, March 29, 2012

Working at a Soup Kitchen

   I just started working an hour a week in a soup kitchen. I probably shouldn't say which one because I might share details of interactions of people that are best kept anonymous. The head chef of the kitchen says I do a really good job and she can tell I've worked  in a kitchen before. She always gives me these really hard tasks like splitting leaves of lettuce, cutting away pieces that are brown or shriveled or all stem, and then cutting the rest into bite sized pieces and throwing them in a pot. I like to talk to this other woman who has just as much cooking experience but is sort of the sous chef ("sioux chef"?). Other times La Jefe has me peeling garlic (which I hate) or peeling hard boiled eggs while they're still hot and the shells can come off easily, or cutting up broccoli as small as I can get them and still keep them looking like broccoli. Anyway, I usually feel a little discouraged when I first start each day and then I think of the skills I'm building and how good it will look on a resume if I need it to and I get my second wind. If nothing else, it's an adventure. And the coffee's good.

1 comment:

  1. Are you still doing this? REmind me, and I check your blog.
    Keep up your very interesting posts

    ReplyDelete